The year 2017 in a nutshell
- FCCA started a new task, supervising of the legality of public procurements.
- The Consumer Ombudsman imposed an injunction on Indoor Group Ltd for continuous marketing of sales at Asko and Sotka.
- The Ministry of Justice published a review memorandum on alternatives for developing payday loan regulation (in Finnish). The memo was based on an initiative (in Finnish) made by the Consumer Ombudsman to the Ministry of Justice to review the legislation on consumer credit and to determine whether there is a need to change the national regulations on unreasonable agreement terms and conditions.
- The working group (in Finnish) considering the reform of the Competition Act submitted its report (in Finnish).
- The FCCA published a report on construction regulation, drawing attention to ensuring a sufficient supply of housing.
- First decision about the supervision of public procurement. The FCCA drew the attention of Central Ostrobothnia’s joint municipal authority dealing with social welfare and health care matters (Soite) with regard to the objectives and implementation of principles referred to in the Act on Public Contracts.
- The Ministry of Employment and the Economy published the report of the working group that reviewed the competition regulations in the social welfare and health sector (in Finnish).
- The Market Court prohibited illegal price increases by the electricity company Finkraft Oy in ongoing electricity contracts.
- The Consumer Ombudsman imposed injunctions on Intersport Finland Oy (Intersport and Budget Sport), L-Fashion Group Oy (TopSport), Partioaitta Oy, Scandinavian Outdoor Oy, SGN Sportia Oy, Sportia-Lahti Oy and Stadium Oy
- The Finnish Government appointed Antti Neimala as Consumer Ombudsman and Director of the Consumer Division as of 1 January 2018.
- The Consumer Ombudsman imposed injunctions on Finsoffat Oy, Kruunukaluste Oy, Stemma Oy and Vepsäläinen Oy for misleading marketing.
- The Consumer Ombudsman took Finnair to Market Court for breach of air passengers’ rights.
- The Nordic Competition Authorities held their annual meeting (in Finnish) in Stockholm. At the meeting, FCCA Director General Juhani Jokinen signed a cooperation agreement between the Nordic competition authorities.
- The Market Court imposed three injunctions on the payday loan company 4finance.
- The seminar “SMART HOME – skills, the consumer and intelligence” (in Finnish), organised together with the home economics pedagogy study track of the University of Helsinki, brought together experts in consumer skills.
- FCCA Day (in Finnish) for stakeholders under the theme “Competition and consumer policy in an economy in transition”
- Director General Juhani Jokinen announced his plan to retire in the beginning of September 2018.
- The Consumer Ombudsman started proceedings in the Market Court against L-Fashion Group Oy (TopSport), Scandinavian Outdoor Oy and SGN Sportia Oy for misleading marketing.